1.03.2010

Farmhouse Butternut Squash Soup

Gourmet is gone, which makes me sad even though I've only recently begun reading old copies. Checking out random issues from the library, along with issues of Bon Apetit. To be honest I find the writing and recipes in Gourmet so much more inviting and fun to read. As for Bon Apetit, I don't really care for the format and, especially, the food photography. But what can you do?











I had been sort of browsing blogs and cookbooks for a Butternut Squash soup recipe to try when I came across this recipe in the February 2009 Gourmet. It appealed to me because of the simplicity of ingredients and uncomplicated steps. I cut the amount of caraway seeds in half, using just 1/2 a teaspoon. I think it adds just enough enough nutty, anisey flavor without overpowering the soup.








The original recipe calls for pureeing only a portion of the soup (4 cups), but I went ahead and blended the whole pot. I used a mini-food processor which didn't get it totally smooth but did a pretty good job. The butternut squash got super creamy, but the carrots didn't get quite as smooth, leaving tiny bits that added some texture to the soup. I think I need a stick blender for Christmas... The granny smith apple makes the soup a bit sweet and the cider vinegar adds a nice brightness to the dish that I really liked. I also added some cream to the soup because I felt it needed a little additional richness.

You definitely need some bread for dunking in the soup. I'm sure any crusty baguette would be delicious. But all I had was some stale wheat sandwich bread, which actually turned out surprisingly tasty toasted up with some butter.



print recipe

Farmhouse Butternut Squash Soup
A warming squash soup with a bit of bright apple and touch of rich cream. Adapted from Gourmet Magazine.
Ingredients
4 Bacon slices4 Garlic cloves, minced2 lbs Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, chopped1/2 lb Carrots, chopped1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored, chopped1/2 teaspoon Caraway seeds3 Thyme sprigs2 Bay leaves3 1/2 cups Chicken Broth, reduced sodium1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar1/2 cup Heavy Cream
Instructions
Cook bacon in a 4-to 6-quart heavy pot over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.

Add garlic and caraway seeds to fat in pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is pale golden, about 1 minute. Add squash, carrots, apple, thyme, bay leaves, broth, water, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and boil, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard thyme and bay leaves.

Purée soup in a blender, in batches, until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return to pot, stir in heavy cream, and season with salt, pepper, and vinegar. Serve topped with crumbled bacon.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 servings

8 comments:

  1. A beautiful soup... reminds me of marbled endpapers on old books... my first visit here to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks AMAZING. i'm going to print this recipe out and make it soon - maybe later this week? I'll let you know how I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I'm freezing too !!!! so I found your soup heart-warming and mouthwatering !!! Great job !
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @lostpastremembered - Thanks, what a lovely description!

    @paula - Thank you so much, definitely let me know how it turns out :)

    @fromBAtoParis - Yes it is so cold here, so soup is just perfect. Thanks so much for reading, your blog is gorgeous with such beautiful food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious. I love butternut squash soup! Your photos are beautiful, by the way. I'm in love with your pretty blue soup bowl!

    I totally agree with your assessment of B.A. I'm getting it now as a substitute for the remainder of my Gourmet subscription and I definitely will not be renewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely soup. I like that you can see the swirl of cream in your pictures, somehow that makes it look even more enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hungry Dog - I love that bowl! Found it at Goodwill for $1 and had to have it :)

    @my boyfriend - The cream definitely made it better ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this tonight. It was amazing! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...