5.21.2011

The Best Broccoli

I was a pretty picky eater as a child, but I always ate my vegetables. Unless, of course, those vegetables were onions, cabbage, or chunky tomatoes. Broccoli though, broccoli I ate. It was a regular fixture at our dinner table, usually steamed or in stir fry or chicken soup. But since I've moved out I can count on one hand the number of times I've cooked broccoli for myself.


These days I roast most of my veggies. Roasted cabbage with jasmine rice is a weeknight standby, and springtime always means panfuls of garlic roasted asparagus. I had been considering roast broccoli for a while, but always fell back on the familiarity of other vegetables. But no more.  I think this recipe, which is just slightly adapted from this one by Ina Garten, will quickly make it into my regular meal rotation. I love the bite of the cheese and the creamy toasted nuts with the broccoli but, for simplicity's sake, they probably won't always make it into the dish. The garlic and lemon, however, are required.




Ina's recipe lists a cooking time of 20-25 minutes, but my broccoli was ready in just around 15, already plenty brown but still a little crisp. So keep an eye on your oven. Her recipe also says to discard the stems, why? My mom always cut the stems up and cooked them with the rest of the florets. Sure they're a little stinky to peel and cut, but they roast up deliciously sweet and tender.




print recipe

Spicy Garlic Roasted Broccoli with Lemon, Pine Nuts, and Grana Padano
Roasting turns broccoli crispy and sweet. Chili flakes add heat, Grana Padano cheese lends a salty bite, while lemon freshens it all up. Adapted from this recipe by Ina Garten.
Ingredients
    2 Broccoli bunches 3 tablespoons Olive Oil 4 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper 1 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes Half of a Lemon 1/3 cup Parmesan or Grana Padano Cheese 2-3 tablespoons Pine Nuts, toasted
Instructions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Trim broccoli into florets, peel stem and slice into thick chunks. Spread broccoli on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Toss with olive oil, chili flakes, garlic, salt and pepper.

Roast until crisp tender, around 15 minutes. Move broccoli to a serving bowl. Squeeze lemon over the top, scatter pine nuts, and shave or grate cheese onto the broccoli. Serve hot!
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings

8 comments:

  1. Roasted broccoli is my favorite!
    I bet you could also use grated parmesan also

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delish! Just made this for dinner and served it over pasta . . . used parm cheese. Love the fresh flavors and the little bite from the red pepper and garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @anon - Yep!

    @Tish - I'm so glad you liked it! I must try it over pasta soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love roasted broccoli too! Must try yours - especially with the roasted pine nuts. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love broccoli - this sounds divine!!!

    New to your blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mary - It's super tasty! Thanks for stopping by, so happy to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this recipe, I can tell this will be a regular on the table! We were so over steaming our broccoli, this is such an easy and delicious alternative.
    Julie Trekker
    p.s. Lourve all-a the pics of your cats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Julie - Awww, thanks! I can't help taking way too many pictures of them! I sure hope you enjoy the broccoli.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...